Sunday, July 12, 2009

Home Cooked Chicken Stew... by me!

It has been such a long long time since I last cooked. Yeah and because I am not such a great cook, I need a longer time to get prepared. Some days back I decided to try cooking my chicken stew again.

Peeling potatoes was the most time consuming process. Four potatoes for the stew because I wanted to use the potatoes starch to thicken the stew. The potatoes were cut in both ways, thinly sliced russet potatoes so that they could 'melt' and thicken the stew, and also the normal potato cubes.



Other ingredients included the tomatoes, carrots, onions, garlic and pepper. Heh the ingredients look good right? Fresh food always look good (in comparison with canned stuff). I only had about 2.5 hours to marinate the chicken thighs. The thighs are the fatty part and I cut away quite a bit of fats.





So voila, here's the final product. I stir fried the chicken together with potatoes slices, carrots, and onions, before putting everything into the pot. Appearance wise it was only so so. I must think of ways to improve the 'looks'. Oh well, because it has been so long since I last practised this dish, a couple of mistakes were made. The garlic was not fried long enough, and I didn't put enough oil in the wok to make sure all the stuff were cooked nicely. Another mistake was that I put too much water into the pot, and thus it took about 5 minutes more before the mixture turned sufficient stew like. Actually I over cooked it somewhat, and thus it was slightly burnt.



The stew was still passable. Actually it tasted good. Once I practised it 1-2 more times it should be fine. Stew with bread is great. The cheap skate me bought the 'buy 1 get 1 free' bread from Carrefour, and thus these bread slices were not as 'fragrant'.



Hope to have more time when I can practice, and perhaps with other interesting recipe.

No comments:

Popular Posts