Thursday, July 10, 2008

Interns equal Good Source of Cheap Labour

There is this AsiaOne article that displayed 'Interns: Good Source of Cheap Labour?', but when you clicked on the article, the actual title becomes 'Sourcing Young Talent'. Both titles are shown below.





Wow, what a remarkable change! Anyways, the article has both perspectives but I tend to agree that many companies exploit interns as cheap labour.

When I was an 'intern' for 6 monthsback in university, I know for sure I was being exploited by the boss. The reason is simple. It was a small company with less than 10 people, including the boss. At the end of the internship of 6 months, me, the intern, became the most 'senior' employee in the company. All other employees left, simply cos' they felt (and it is true) that the boss over exploited them. So I was being exploited, equally with all other employees. Lolz.

Anyway, the school rejected my request to transfer to another company, or back to the school to help out in lab. Sigh... wasted months of my life. I could have learn more by being a lab assistant.

The article did mention about good companies who treated their interns well, meaning that the internship gave the students good exposure...etc etc. I guess these companies got it right. Hope more companies would do the right things. :)

No comments:

Popular Posts