Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Planting Sprouted Russet Potato

With the recent rush of rainfall, punctured by periods of bright sunshine, it is no wonder that my bag of potatoes have sprouted. It is quite a sad development actually because we didn't get a chance to use any of the potatoes at all - waste of food. Yes, we have learnt to cover the bag of potatoes and keep them away from sunlight.

Nonetheless here's the bag of potatoes, and the many spuds growing out of the potatoes. I have been advised not to eat them anymore or I might have food poisoning. 

Sprouted russet potatoes

If we zoomed in, we can see the sprouts, although I am not sure why the tips have a darker / black colour. Are these black tips the signs of growing leaves? Can russet potatoes grow in our humid climate?


So I have decide to plant it! No I don't have a garden with sufficient soil for potato planting, but oh well, let's give one of the potatoes a chance to grow right? So I have tried it using a shallow glass container. After a few darks the tips darkened further, and I guess it might not survive for very long. Hopefully it at least grow some leaves and maybe last a few weeks.

Sprouted Potato in glass pot


No comments:

Popular Posts